Children are a gift and a joy from God. We at Church of the Ascension believe that your children’s faith formation is a continuing journey of faith. It is one that begins in the home and is reinforced by the programs we offer. Our main objective is to transmit the basic teachings of the Catholic Faith so that they may come to know and love God more fully in their lives.
We are honored to have you a part of our program and look forward to partnering with you and your child(ren) as they grow closer to Jesus Christ and His Church.
To help students grow in their love of Christ and Understanding of His teachings.
Through our Baptism Christ has called us to be a disciple and follow Him as He has revealed Himself through the Sacred Scriptures and Apostolic Tradition.
Parents are the primary educators of their child’s spiritual, social, emotional and physical development. This duty is irreplaceable. Therefore, our program seeks to collaborate with parents in this vital endeavor to pass on the Catholic Faith and all its riches to the next generation. Through our School of Religion Program parents can foster the spiritual development of their child:
- By living the faith in word and deed at home and everywhere they go.
- By bringing their child(ren) to Faith Formation every year (not just 2nd and 7th and 8th).
- By weekly attendance at Mass on Sundays and all holy days of obligation.
- By responding in obedience to the doctrines and teachings of the Church, our Holy Father, and our Bishops in these matters.
- By taking an active interest in what is being covered in their child(ren)’s class.
- By teaching their children that Catholics attend Mass each Sunday to give to God — adoration, praise, thanksgiving, and petition — for all we have received from Him.
- To assist parents in helping students understand the beauty of the Catholic Faith.
- To enable each individual to nourish his/her own personal relationship with God through prayer, study, Scripture and frequent participation in the Sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation.
- To bring students to recognize the Eucharistic liturgy as the source, expression and celebration of who we are as Catholic Christians.
- To encourage students to grow toward full and active participation in the life and mission of the Church.
- To help each person develop a desire to actively live their faith and be involved in the life and mission of the Church as they make the Kingdom of God present here and now in the world.
We offer programs for children from Pre-School through 8th Grade.
Fall-Spring: Pre-School 3 & 4 year olds and Kindergarten: Sunday from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
Year I and Year II Confirmation (traditionally 7th and 8th Grade) Sunday from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM.
Weekly YFF, 1st – 6th Grade: Wednesday From 5:30 PM to 6:45 PM.
Family Formation, K-6th Grade: 1st Wednesday of each month from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM (followed by 3 Home Lessons).
Summer Faith Formation: Grades: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th (must be entering grade in the Fall) Summer YFF for 2019 is June 17-27
Vacation Bible School for 2019 is June 3rd – 7th (registration begins April 1st)
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
We are currently offering Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for Kindergarten and 1st graders from 5:30pm to 6:45pm. Please call William O’Leary in the SOR Office for more information.