Advent isn’t just about celebrating Jesus’s Birthday and his coming 2,000 years ago but it’s also about him coming again to judge the living and the dead. It’s a time to help us spiritually prepare for that. It’s never too early with your kids to focus on this. Also, Advent is about living in the presence of Jesus in the present moment.
Here is a really good video explaining “What are we preparing for – The 3 Comings of Christ”
1) I’ve attached this Family Advent Prayer Packet that you could do at dinner (or before bed) with the Advent Wreath. Check it out here.
3) Don’t forget to Celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas on December 6th.
2) Various Advent Ideas from the following websites: Websites with ideas
- Another great book –The Light of Christmas (One of my favorites)
- One more great book –Martha and the Manger Straw (another one of my favorite storybooks during the Advent Season).
4) Advent Sacrifices – http://www.holyheroes.net/aa/Advent_Adventure_Sacrifice_List.pdf
5) The St. Andrew Novena that is prayed from November 30th – December 24th. My Kids love praying this Novena!
6) Sign-up for the Advent Reflections that send one for both kids & adults – sign-up here
Mr. O’Leary is the Director of Youth Faith Formation at Church of the Ascension. You can read more from him at relevantcatechesis.com.